Wednesday, March 28, 2018

If you got the notion, I second that emotion (The Miracles)

Photo by Franck Veschi on Unsplash
As a leader, it's important I have a large dollop of emotional intelligence.

What exactly is it?

emotional intelligence
noun
  1. the capacity to be aware of, control, and express one's emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.

I was discussing this with a colleague recently. After I'd explained the concept, she laughed and said, "Oh - I have very little of that".

She's a good listener, which I regard as a crucial skill, but she was right about her EI.

In our heart of hearts, I think we know whether we have much EI or not (you could try this little online test to check against your idea of yourself). 

Generally, there are three key skills involved:
  • Emotional awareness 
  • The ability to harness emotions and apply them to tasks like thinking and problem solving 
  • The ability to manage emotions, which includes regulating your own emotions and cheering up or calming down other people.
Okay then, so you can see why leaders need it, right? How does your leader stack up?

No comments: