Friday, September 25, 2015

I want to live in the world (Jackson Browne)

A slight break from my bookmarks for this post (I'm starting to think I'll NEVER get control of that - I would have added twice as many as I deleted over the two recent blogposts).



As I've hinted at before, I'm keen on reading about trends in education.

I read this collection and did some thinking- largely positive thoughts too as I reflect on what has been achieved so far and then inspired - by what we could do next...


1.    The Need to Develop Cultures of Innovation

At my school (Woodford House in NZ) we are working to change how things are done in order to better accommodate new tech and to encourage innovation. Next steps: keep thinking about how to look to innovative ideas from the business world – creativity, risk-taking, collaboration, entrepreneurship – these things help make education both more meaningful to students in the moment, and more valuable to them in the future.

2.    Increasing Collaboration Between Educational Institutions

We live close to another smallish girls school. We are both fiercely independent. Silly when you think about it. Next steps: one school alone has limited power (particularly when it is small), but many schools working as one can make more of a difference.

3.    Possibilities of Assessment and Measurement

Thanks to Schoology, we can now collect extensive and detailed data on how students are learning, and what teaching methods work the best.

Data is playing a key role in adaptive learning, which empowers students to better understand their progress and take more control over their learning. Additionally, adaptive learning gives teachers insights into how students are doing and what they need most. Next steps: more informed curriculum decisions designed to help students perform better.


4.    Increase in Blended Learning

Blended learning combines the benefits of the technology of online learning with the accessibility of working with teachers face-to-face. I love it! Next steps (I hope): may involve freeing up the timetable, removing subject silos and therefore increasing the availability of teachers.

5.    Redesigning Learning Spaces

If we’re bringing more tech into the classroom, the classroom must change to accommodate. Next steps: classroom without walls!

No comments: