Friday, January 24, 2014

No matter what we get out of this I know I know we'll never forget (Deep Purple)

It's started!

The new school year is here and, well, it's the same as the start to every one of my last 31 school years really.

Let me take you back to the end of January 1983.

I'd graduated from Auckland's Secondary Teachers' College at the end of 1982 and got a job in December at New Plymouth Boys' High School.

I'd had a great summer holiday staying with friends at Oakura beach and had moved into a flat in the Spotswood area of New Plymouth with two girls.

I turned up for my first day at NPBHS and sat through a day of admin messages, induction type activities (a tour of the boarding school was included) and PD for staff.

I got home to my new flat and took two Panadol. My brain was full to overflowing with information. I had eye strain because I'd concentrated so much on the various speakers. I had a fistful of paper including a staff manual. I went to bed early; I was exhausted!

Fast forward 31 years. 

I turned up for my first 2014 day at Woodford House and sat through a day of admin messages, induction type activities (a tour of the boarding school was included) and PD for staff.

I got home to my Otane home and took two Panadol. My brain was full to overflowing with information. I had eye strain because I'd concentrated so much on the various speakers. I had a fistful of paper including a staff manual. I went to bed early, exhausted!

Is there no other way possible to start a new school year?

I don't wish to begin the new year in non 'I'm so excited' mode but... in this new age of instant technology, is there no way we can somehow bypass the administrivia?

What about some fun? Some house rivalry maybe? Some games? A pub quiz about procedures maybe? How about the staff manual as an email attachment with hyperlinks attached?

Come on - we're innovative people right - let's do something different. Please.

I'd love to return home after my first day of a new school year and not have to immediately reach for the paracetamol.

No comments: